Anna (hellga) wrote,

  • Mood:


Mayor has ordered voluntary evacuation for my building. I have signed a waiver to stay put. I am on the fifth floor, way above any likely flood damage. We are already having the winds as bad as they are likely to get. And our north side is not likely to get more than 3 inches of rain - that's through tomorrow. So the biggest concern is the surge... I am likely to lose power (and internet), but I can live with that. I am just leery of leaving and not being able to save any of my belongings if something happens... I would rather pray that nothing too bad happens. I have (perhaps stupid) feeling that if I am present, my presence will protect my property to an extent... After all, none of the patients I had in the ICU or transplants in whose rooms I walked in, died. And the only person whose room I have not stepped into has died that weekend...

So if I stop checking in... I probably have lost power. Hopefully nothing worse than that.


Мэр объявил добровольную эвакуацию нашего здания. На нашем пятом этаже большинство остается, насколько я слышала. Так что посмотрим... Ну, к часу ночи все будет ясно, так что не так долго осталось. Ветры уже настолько сильные, насколько они будут, сильнее не поднимутся, как прогнозист сказал. И дождя у нас не должно быть больше чем 3 дюйма включая завтра, потому что мы на северной стороне, у нас меньше и ветер, и дождь. В общем, главная опасность - это приливная волна. Так что буду молиться, надеяться - и пойду подниму свое добро с пола на всякий случай, если вдруг (не дай Бог) окно выбьет... Свет потерять могу запросто - скорее всего и потеряю - так что если меня не будет - вот почему.

Желайте мне удачи, она мне этой ночью нужна.


8:40 Ветер стихает - порывы есть, но сильно реже. Вода поднялась - сейчас доходит до половины пути от края набережной до стены. Высшая точка прилива будет в районе 10 вечера - так что посмотрим, что она нам принесет. Но не думаю что аццки драматическое что-то будет. Надеюсь.

8:40 The wind is subsiding - there are still gusts, but less frequent than before. Water is rising - it has now reached halfway between the wall of the building and the normal boardwalk edge. We have another hour until the normal peak tide and two hours until the highest storm surge. So I shall know fairly soon whether it affects me and how severely.


10:40 Река сейчас на самом пике, по прогнозам. Стоит высоковато, сильно из берегов вышла - но у нас пока есть свет, и в нашем здании, и напротив. Окон много светится, нас много таких решивших не эвакуироваться - у них давно уже кончились бумажки отказников когда они ко мне пришли, я просто расписалась на бумажке - они там записывали в ряд квартиры, имена, количество жильцов и телефоны. Я как увидела что в основном все соседи остаются - все сомнения отпали. У нас полэтажа медики, так что мы в хороших руках для самоспасения. Теперь будем ждать спада воды...

10:40 The river has crested, according to the forecasts, at least. It is way out of its normal bounds, but not terribly high. I would say, a couple feet only, if that. Maybe a foot... We still have power, and the building next to us too - plenty of windows are lit. So many people wanted to stay, firefighters run out of waiver forms long before getting to me, they were just taking down names and phone numbers and asked us to sign... Most of my neighbors stayed, which is good - most of us are medical professionals, which is oddly comforting in a way. Now all we have to wait for is for the water to recede. Probably won't start receding for another hour or two until it crests upstream...
Tags: weather, погода
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.